Pour a Glass and #ToastTheVote
As if 2020 hasn’t been exciting enough, we still have a major election day to look forward to this November. In honor of the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage, our favorite, feisty Middle Sister wines are working to raise awareness, educate and remind women – and everyone – to rock their right to vote in the #ToastTheVote campaign.
Follow the #ToastTheVote hashtag to catch all of the campaign updates across social platforms. Make sure you’re also following Middle Sister wines on Facebook and Instagram for regular updates sharing voter registration information, the voting process in your state, how to volunteer and how to get your friends excited to turn out at the polls.
A long line of women before us fought hard to win the rights we have today and we’ve joined the effort with a goal to get all of our Wine Sisters to exercise their voting power this fall.
A Quick History Lesson
100 years ago, the 19th amendment was ratified guaranteeing American women the right to vote, but there were still battles to be fought:
- In 1922, The Cable Act provided a path back to citizenship for women who had married a foreign national.
- In 1924, The Indian Citizenship Act defined Native Americans as citizens.
- In 1935, all Puerto Rican women were given the right to vote (only literate Puerto Rican women were given the right to vote in 1929).
- In 1961, the 23rd Amendment gave Washington DC residents the right to vote for president.
- In 1964, the 24th Amendment abolished poll taxes and literacy tests.
- In 1965, The Voting Rights Act prohibited racial discrimination in voting.
Read more about the history of women’s suffrage in the US here.
This fall, #ToastTheVote to each of the milestones above and all the progress you wish to see in the future. Find resources at vote.org!
Special Vote Label in Stores
Middle Sister Sweet & Savvy Moscato is displaying her version of an “I voted” sticker right on her bottle in the form of a limited edition color-changing “Go Vote” label, available in stores while supplies last. Find a bottle near you today.
Remember, higher voter turnout equals a healthy democracy and representation of all US citizens. Now, rock your right to vote!
Check your voter registration and create a plan for voting day in your state with resources at vote.org.