Batter up! Game-day guilty pleasures
“A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz.” – Humphrey Bogart
Baseball, it’s one of our favorite things about summer. The friends, the cheers, the jeers… and of course, the food!
While beer and brats are delicious when paired with a game on a sunny San Francisco afternoon, sometimes a girl just wants a nice glass of wine to go with her baseball fare.
Hot daytime game have you craving a crisp, chilled white? Cool evening game have you longing for a bold red? Lucky for us, we can have our pick at games in our neighborhood!
Yes, our San Francisco Giants home field, AT&T Park, has its own wine bar! Vintage 58, named after the year the Giants moved out west, serves up a list of our wine country favorites.
If you’re headed out to San Francisco for a game, we pulled together some of our favorite foods to order paired with another one of our favorites… wine!
Can’t make it out to a game? Scroll to the bottom of this post for a recipe for mini grilled crab and shrimp sandwiches you can recreate at home.
Iconic Stadium Offerings and Wine Pairings
Chicago Dogs – no explanation needed. Head to The Doghouse on the Club level for this game day favorite and other hot dog options. For a classic Chicago dog, topped with pickles and peppers, we’d pair it with: Sauvignon Blanc (Try it at home with Middle Sister Surfer Chick Sauvignon Blanc).
Garlic Fries – an iconic, must-have treat. Oh, and make sure everyone in your group has a bite. Pick some up at Gilroy Garlic Fries or Murph’s Pub. Pair them with: Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay (Try it at home with Girl & Dragon Pinot Grigio or Emily Chardonnay).
Crab Sandwich – Dungeness crab piled high between slices of garlic buttered bread. Enough said. Find this sandwich at Crazy Crab’z and pair it with your favorite bubbly white wine, Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc (Try it at home with Middle Sister Smarty Pants Chardonnay or Valley & Vine Sauvignon Blanc).
Nachos – that cheesy, crunchy indulgence we just can’t resist! With corn chips, melted Cheddar or Jack cheese, maybe some shredded chicken, we’d pair them with: a Zinfandel or Red Blend (Try it at home with Deep Purple Zinfandel or Middle Sister Rebel Red).
Peanuts – boiled or roasted, you gotta have a handful or two. Like potato chips, but ten times better. Pair them with: a bubbly white like Champagne, Prosecco or Cava (Try it at home with Middle Sister Glamour Girl Bubbly White).
Cracker Jack – Another classic baseball game treat. Sweet, salty, crunchy… how could you go wrong? Pair it with: Moscato (Try it at home with Middle Sister Sweet & Sassy Moscato).
While the wine brands in our Wine Sisterhood family are not available at the stadium (yet!), many of them are available in your local stores and in our Wine Shop. Contact us here if you’re looking for something in particular!
Grilled Crab and Shrimp Mini Sandwiches
(Recipe via Epicurious)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup chopped fresh crabmeat
- 1 cup chopped cooked shrimp
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 slices firm white sandwich bread
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Whisk mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients in medium bowl. Gently mix in crabmeat, shrimp, celery, and onion. Season filling with salt and pepper.
- Arrange 4 bread slices on work surface. Spread 1/4 of filling on each slice (about 1/2 cup). Top filling with bread slice; press to adhere. Brush top bread slice of each sandwich with melted butter.
- Place large griddle over 2 burners. Heat griddle over medium heat. Place sandwiches, buttered side down, on griddle.
- Cook until bottom is golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Brush top of each sandwich with melted butter. Using metal spatula, turn sandwiches over. Cook until bottom is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Cut each sandwich into quarters. Transfer to platter. Sprinkle with parsley.
Wishing you and your team a winning season! Cheers!