5 Steps to Creating the BEST Cheese Plate EVER
Holiday party season has arrived! We believe a great party must start with two things: wine and cheese.
We’re in the wine biz. We love cheese. We love wine and cheese together. So, trust us here and follow these 5 steps to creating the BEST Cheese Plate EVER:
1. The Cheese
Start with the basics: fresh, soft-ripened, hard and blue.
- Fresh cheeses are young (not aged), spreadable and soft in texture. They can range from mild to tangy in flavor. Think of: Goat, Feta, Mozzarella and Burrata.
- Soft-ripened cheeses have a white, edible rind, called a bloomy rind. Some favorites in this category include: Brie, Camembert and Humboldt Fog.
- Hard cheeses are firm to the touch, may be aged, slightly smelly and are generally sharp and/or salty in flavor. Familiar cheeses in this category include: Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino, Gouda and Cheddar.
- Blue cheeses are exactly that, usually veined or spotted with blue, gray or green mold throughout. They tend to be pungent and salty in flavor. Popular blue cheeses include: Blue, Gorgonzola and Cambozola.
Consider including three different varieties of cheese and a selection of goat, sheep and cow’s milk cheeses.
2. Add Accoutrements
Liven up your cheese plate with other foods to nibble on that complement your cheese selection. Try a few from this list:
- Fresh fruit: apple slices, raspberries, cranberries
- Nuts: pecans, walnuts, almonds
- Marinated veggies: olives, peppers, mushrooms
- Bread: water crackers, toasted baguette, bread sticks
- Charcuterie: hard salami, prosciutto, paté
3. Label the Cheese
So your guests know what they’re enjoying most! Have some extra time? Add a few flavor notes to your labels.
You and the cheese. Let your cheese rest for up to an hour before serving it. This will enhance the flavor and ensure you’re serving it at room temperature.
5. Find your Cheese Knives
Set out a knife for each cheese. Butter knives will work great with soft cheeses. Cheese planes work best with aged varieties.
And last, but not least – don’t forget the wine! To celebrate the holidays in style, we put together two NEW wine 6-packs in our Wine Shop. These were created with our Wine Sisters in mind!
Order one of these 6-packs and you’ll be prepared for hostess gifts, holiday potlucks, and all those cozy nights at home by the fireplace.
Middle Sister Holiday 6-Pack
Enjoy 2 bottles each of Middle Sister Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio, and Malbec for just $54. (Retail: $72!)
Vintage Holiday 6-Pack
Enjoy 2 bottles each of Girl & Dragon Pinot Grigio, Tall Dark Stranger Malbec and Purple Cowboy Cabernet Sauvignon for just $64. (Retail: $84!)
Shipping Reminder: Ensure that your wines deliver on time for the Holidays. See shipping deadlines here. Expedited shipping also available in most states.