Sisterhood Salad of the Month – Try Something New!
We were sitting around the Wine Sisterhood Clubhouse last week and were talking about some of our favorite things to eat at home or out in restaurants while exploring different cities. The vote was unanimous; we love to try all kinds of soups, salads and sandwiches. Why? Because they are easy and delicious; and the possibilities are endless!
Because we are so passionate about soup, salad, and sandwiches we decided that each month we will share one of our favorite recipes with The Wine Sisterhood. That makes it easy for you…we do the research, you get to enjoy a fun new recipe with family and friends!
This month we decided to feature a summery salad from the August 2013 issue of Food & Wine Magazine. The Sisterhood Salad of the Month is – Summer Vegetable “Ceviche.” Just in time for you to enjoy the last of fresh fruit and vegetables available this time of year.
Side Note: Ceviche is a normally a seafood dish popular in the coastal regions of the Americas, especially Central and South America. The dish is typically made from fresh raw fish marinated in citrus juices, such as lemon or lime, and spiced with ají or chili peppers. In this recipe, the fish has been substituted with fresh fruit and vegetables. I nice twist for a vegetarian option!!!
Summer Vegetable “Ceviche”
Food & Wine, August 2013
- 1 cup fresh baby lima beans (from about 1 1/2 pounds in the pod) or other shelling bean
- 1 t. finely grated lime zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- 2 nectarines, cut into thin wedges
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large orange bell pepper, finely julienned
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- In a small saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the lima beans until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the beans and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl, whisk the lime zest and juice with the olive oil, scallion, jalapeño and shallot; season the dressing with salt. Gently fold in the lima beans, corn, nectarines, avocado, orange pepper and tomatoes. Refrigerate the “ceviche” for at least 2 hours. Fold in the cilantro just before serving and serve the “ceviche” chilled.
Made ahead, the salad can be refrigerated for up to 8 hours.
And Don’t Forget the Wine!!!
Middle Sister “Surfer Chick” Sauvignon Blanc: Tropical flavors of pineapple and white peaches.
Middle Sister “Drama Queen” Pinot Grigio: An explosion of apples and pears, with some mineral notes on the finish.